Over the years I have tried numerous different skin care routines and have settled on one routine specifically. I’m sure it will change, as will the products, but I always stick with the same steps which are:
- Washing my face in the morning and before bed: Besides waking you up in the morning, washing your face in the AM gets rid of any oil and dirt that may have accumulated overnight. If you wear makeup everyday having a clean canvas is a must! At night you should wash off all of your makeup as well as the dirt, oil and bacteria that have built up over the course of the day. How can the skin on your face breathe and regenerate overnight if it’s dirty and covered with makeup?
- Moisturize: It doesn’t matter if you have oily, dry or combination skin, everyone should moisturize their face after washing it. There are so many different brands of lotions out there made for specific skin types, so finding the right one for you shouldn’t be hard. A common misconception is that oily people (like me) don’t need to moisturize. Not true!!
- Exfoliate: Washing your face twice per day is great but you need that extra little step to get down deeper for a better clean. Exfoliating rids the skin of dead skin cells, dirt and makeup buildup that has been left behind. After exfoliating you will notice how smooth your skin will look and feel! Your makeup will look a lot better too on a clean exfoliated face. This step is a bit too harsh for everyday so I stick with exfoliating only twice per week. That’s all you need!
- Anti-Aging: I don’t believe this step is necessary for everyone. Washing, moisturizing and exfoliating are enough to keep your skin looking and feeling fresh, clean and youthful. I tend to enjoy using anti-aging products because I want to ward off the wrinkles, sun damage and skin discoloration. If you do choose to use any of these products, it’s a good idea to start before you notice fine lines or any other signs of aging. Everyone’s skin ages differently so the right age for this step may vary. One trick I found that saves money, and product as well as makes a lot of sense is using anti-aging products at night so they work their magic while you sleep and your body is already in repair and restore mode
My current daily and nightly products are all over the map in regards to brand and price. I would love to just have one brand of everything but I enjoy experimenting.
Here is what my skin care products consist of:
- Face Wash
- Face Scrub (exfoliating)
- Day Moisturizer with SPF 18-30 (Use on face, neck and chest everyday! Some mature women have well preserved faces and older looking skin on the neck and chest. Don’t forget these areas!)
- Day Moisturizer without SPF (for days I am inside ALL day)
- Eye Cream (Regular face moisturizer is not formulated for the under eye area, plus any oil free moisturizer will only dry out the under eye)
- Night Moisturizer with Anti-Aging Ingredients
- Retinol Eye Cream (I use this only a few nights per week because it can be a bit drying)
- Acne Preventing Moisturizer (if I find I have a few pimples)
Here are the products I’m currently using….
Of course healthy skin is not accomplished solely by products. We all know that a healthy diet, plenty of exercise, sleep and just being happy makes us all beautiful!